星期五, 八月 12, 2005

worship 101

People are yearning for God to show Himself in their situation. This expectation has formed everything from the Jewish hopes of the Messiah to the present cries of Pentecostals. But the fact remains that more people than ever want God to just DO something. Move, heal, give. Show me where I should go. I need you to come and be here. Where the heck are you oh God?

But maybe God works in our need for Him. Simply because when we ask him for something, that’s the closest we ever get to treating Him like a real person. I mean, we ask people for things in all sorts of different manners, but by asking we acknowledge their value as a person and their ability to grant what we desire. Asking is a recognition of personhood. Admittedly, it’s an elementary conception of God, but sometimes it’s the best we have. I would even venture to say that the words, “God I need You,” are the core curricula of Worship 101.

God I need You.

Here’s an essay for Greenhouse about social justice, worship and engaging the culture we live in. I hope this helps somebody……

“The Gospel of Jesus isn’t the Gospel of Jesus if it doesn’t help the dump kids.” That phrase etched its way on my heart, through tears, until it wouldn’t allow me a moment’s peace. I fled from my meeting sobbing and screaming with the voice of my heart. Anything that doesn’t help those children is not Christ’s Gospel. Anyone who says different is a liar or a fool or a monster or a…words failed me at this point. As I leaned against the shed sobbing and staring angrily at the sun-swept sky, my inner knowing scrolled through the litany of torments for the comfortable who allowed THIS to happen. (It doesn’t matter that I was one of those comfortable). What monsters!

The meeting I ended up ‘excusing myself’ from was one of the night programs for Concordia Language Villages’ Spanish Camp in which I was a counselor. The subject was child labor and the millions of children all over the word who were denied basic human rights, such as school, friends, and a childhood in order to ensure their survival.

Now I tend to get overly dramatic about such things, and I certainly don’t want to portray the idea that I am some sterling saint who cries about injustice all day long. (I live quite comfortably). I had spent the last three odd weeks with a bunch of screaming kids, fighting to create the language immersion environment Concordia is famous for. I sat in this meeting physically, mentally, spiritually drained of just about every resource I had. I felt like I had reached my limit, and you expect me to deal with this again?

The last time I had to deal with poverty of this stripe was the dump towns of Nicaragua. Children sniffing glue, wandering among piles of trash, haunting the smoke from the slowly combusting garbage as if they were the living dead—these tragedies have a way of undoing even the strongest souls. You want to help things, to fix them, so these kids don’t have to hurt any more. The thing is, I can’t do all I want to ease my conscience. It’s not about easing my conscience anyway. Besides, these problems require more than overnight solutions. Yet you don’t think of that while you sob for the dump kids. You only think of doing something. But what?

Last Tuesday, we watched The Village and pondered what it would take for the Church to leave our village and impact culture. I would venture that the answer lies somewhere in a compassion, however you chose to help, for the dump kids of the world. This is where culture gets affected, in the shirt given to the street child, the change given to the beggar and the piece of bread given to those who have none. People see and understand that Christ is very real to do something. He’s not like the gods of this world that demand and consume but never give back to the people who promise their lives. This revelation of Christ not only changes culture; it also changes us. This is how we meet God.

Christ meets us in the poor. He said that whatever we do for the least of these, it is as if we do it for the Lord Himself. Thomas Merton called it the “mystical presence of Christ in the poor”. For whatever reason, our Lord delights to ‘dress up’ as these dump kids. He communes with us ardently as we minister to Him, Our God who hides in the gaze of the poor.

I conclude with the words of Che Guevara. He penned these words about his journies through South America, on much the same mission as Christ has charged his church.

“This isn’t the story of impressive deeds… it’s a piece of two lives which ran together. A man… can think of many things that range from the most elevated philosophical speculation to the face yearning for the a plate of soup, in total correlation with the empty state of his stomach.”

There are millions of empty stomach in this world that Christ has commanded us to fill. What are you going to do about it?

2 Comments:

At 11:26 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

Okay...I'm going to go off on a rant that goes in completely the opposite direction as Greenhouse did, because I see the "social justice" phenomena sweeping the emergent church and can see it having some unhealthy extremes.

We were never commanded to give the majority of our resources, regardless of how rich or poor we are, to good causes that help the poor. We were commanded to tithe 10% to the "storehouse" (I see that as the local church) and to be "generous to your brethren."

The "brethren" are other believers whom I encounter. Not strangers I see on CNN.

But should we place priority to the most unfortunate of people whom we never actually encounter? People who are not even of our community? Total strangers?

I actually don't think so. Look at Acts 2. People shared all things in common, and no one was in need...AMONG THE SAINTS. We weren't seeing the saints selling everything they had and giving it to "hurricane katrina victims," "Subsaharan AIDS victims," "Holland Youth Program Kids", "Sudanese Refugees", "Rwandans seperated from their families" etc. etc. etc! Like Christ said "The poor you will have with you always." I could give everything I have to the poor, but that doesn't mean that I have love! Love can't exist without relationship! I can have compassion on them...but love??? I dont' KNOW THEM.

The poor we will have with us always. However, aside from the 10% that goes to local ministries that I am part of, what I give above and beyond that is NOT "the dump kids" (I have no idea who they are). But I did give to Niki, who's going to Norway to be trained in prophetic dance. I am going give to the Carol Geer ammenities trust. I did give to Hurricane Katrina. My small group is going to buy sheep and goats for villagers through one of those Compassion International type organizations.

Are we doing this just because the need is there? No. If we responded to EVERY need, we'd go nuts and broke. But we should listen for when the holy spirit tells you to tip your waitress $50.00 or give to some kid that you overhear in the coffee shop saying "I'm going on this mission trip, and I don't know where the money's going to come from!" We are not under any obligation to give sacrificially to any old good cause that comes our way unless God directs that, because it could be a waste of resources that could be better invested.

For example: Let's say that I had compassion on the inner city kids downtown, and gave one of them five bucks because they're poor. Well, not only would they spend it on candy, but they'd keep coming back for more money and tell all their friends who ALSO would want you to give them a handout.

But what if I set up a system where they could clean my house and I'd pay them five bucks? Think they'd still come around? Well...they might, but do I TRUST them to clean my house without breaking or stealing something?

I know that sounds heartless, but I think it would be better to give that money to my church. The kids who go there don't want handouts. They want to learn about God. They have a good work ethic. They tell their friends about Jesus.

When I worked with Life Club, I got frustrated and angry at the kids, because they were all trying to invite all their friends, because whatever group was biggest got to go on an all-expense paid trip to Frankenmooth. Once that was done and there wasn't anything they could get out of it anymore, half of them stopped coming. They didn't care about Jesus. They just expected someone to give them something free because they were "poor."

A lot of poverty is people who are victims. A lot of it IS a culture. The important thing is to not be prejudiced and hardhearted. There are some people who are legitimate victims. There are some people who are subjects to nasty circumstances and have no way out unless someone helps.

And, there is a time and place to go out and celebrate a special occasion in grandeur and elegance. It is IMPORTANT to blow $100.00 at a fancy resturaunt on your wedding anniversary. It is IMPORTANT to drop a month's salary on a ring before you propose to a girl. It is IMPORTANT to spend money on sending your kids to college. It is IMPORTANT that Mt. Hope pours thousands of dollars into lighting and FX for their Passion Plays because they're broadway quality, they lead people to Jesus, and show that acting and music and dance are acts of worship to the King of Kings. Yeah, there's no social justice involved with a passion play. But what if someone gets saved at that play, develops a heart for AIDS victims, and devotes the rest of their lives to working in Africa? See, we don't necessarily know the consequences of our actions until we get to the Bema seat.

To say that you're not really a Christian unless you choose to help "the dump kids" is a lie. You are a Christian if you give to what the Holy Spirit leads you to give, be it your aunt, your waitress, your Church, or your Sudanese Refugee.

For some organization or another to play on people's guilt and say "You have to give to my cause!" is simply a lie.

True story: A married couple I know decided to start sponsoring a child through Compassion International. They started writing her letters, sending $20.00 a month, etc. because they saw the video at a Christian concert and felt moved by images of starving kids. They started to get attached to her, and she wrote back. After awhile she stopped writing, even though they were still sending money for two months. Turns out Comassion LOST THE KID. She disappeared. They had no idea what happened to her. Yet they were still accepting my friends' money.

Fishy?

My conclusion: Give as God leads, but always make sure that you DO give.

 
At 5:07 下午, Blogger Daniel said...

Well I think we agree more than it appears at first glance.

The thing is, we both agree that we are to be generous and we both agree that we should be led by God in that generousity (I did not stress that enough in that article). Does that mean that generousity we are commanded means only to give to believers/unbelievers? If there was a rule about it, I don't think it would be generousity. Why couldn't God lead me to give to the strangers on CNN? Should our priority be on the church and others who we know will do well with the money? Of course. We are to be wise as serpents and gentle as doves as Jesus said.

However, being led by God to give to CNN and the world's causes is within the realm of possiblitity, I think. The imperative clause here though is "being led" (and maybe 'being wise' as well. It's a point I readily conceed that we must be wise with our resources. That just makes sense, I mean, the whole point of the Bema seat of Christ is..... stewardship).

However, I think generosity and a concern for the poor and the helpless is necessary to the very nature of the gospel. The Old Testament law screamed it. Jesus said, "whatever you do for the least of theese, you do it for me" Jesus came to those in society who had nothing, as his followers we can't ignore his concern for the poor, helpless, abused, etc, etc.

What form that generosity takes is up to how God is working on the individual, but generosity is always of God.

Daniel

 

发表评论

<< Home