星期二, 五月 17, 2005

musings on life, love and the Phantom of the Opera....

So I am writing this bone tired, just returned from Greenhouse and I want to process a lot of stuff that happens, but it seems like I never have time to get it all. I need to write more. I need to pursue the revolution with my pen and pick up notebook to spin again, these bard-songs of infinite God-perpetuity....

But I wax poetic. I have a lot of things going on in my mind right now, so this might not be as orgainized as some may prefer. I watched the Phantom of the Opera last night and I am not sure what I think about it. I typically don't go to musicals unless I have a friend in them. People breaking into song at odd moments just doesn't do it for me. However, Phantom (the movie) was exceptionally done. Everything about it was just lush. The music (even though my music school chums would say differently) rocked. The Costumes and period stuff was awesome, and the acting was absolutely spectacular.

What gave me pause, however, was the girl who played Christine Daae, the love interest in the opera (of both the Phantom and another man). She was innocent and virginal, yet weirdly sensual in her portrayal of the opera singer who thinks the Phantom is the ghost of her dead father. You will have see the movie to understand fully I think. But the fact is, she, in addition to being and sounding absolutely stunning, had this weird quality about her that made me want to fall in love with her character. I might give my friends and family cause for alarm when I say this, but I felt as though I, myself, could propose my undying love to this 'angel of music'.

It makes me wonder if my 'shopping list' of ideal qualities for a girl isn't based on unrealistic expectations like this. Or maybe my standards are too low and I should wait for my beautiful Christine, ready for me to sweep me off my feet? Do girls real live and love (and, yes, look) like that? Is my idea of the Great Romance totally caricatured around the physical beauty of some Christine I hold out for, a Christine that doesn't really exist? Do I think of the Great Romance solely in terms of physical beauty and sensuality ("Christine-ness") and forget that it is the heart that matters?

I don't know. I can't help but think a girl like that does exist and does wait for me. I sure hope so. But at the same time, physical beauty fades and the Great Romance is so much deeper than that.

It's late and I will post more phantom reflections and GH stuff tomorrow.....

Daniel

4 Comments:

At 3:59 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

well drawing on personal experience...the girl or any girl who you believe to be the one for you will inexplicably surprise you. with her looks who she is and etc. its like you will go into it thinking this IS what you want in a girl and you will meet her and walk away saying now thats funny. i love her absolutely and she isnt what I had thought i wanted. then you will ponder and realize she is what you REALLY had wanted. and you will love her even more for it. at least thats been my personal experience. so yeah, dude dont worry the crazy high expectations dont mean a thing. its the fact that your heart will be changed to fall in love with her when you meet her and you will see that she by far exceeds what you thought was impossible to reach.
thats my two cents worth for whatever its worth...lol...mrt

 
At 7:28 上午, Blogger Daniel said...

that's a good point, how much do we know what we want anyway?

Daniel

 
At 11:02 上午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

Glad to see I'm in good company.

I absolutely loved that film--and it cleared up some bits of the musical I had misunderstood!

 
At 11:47 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

The movie was fantastic. I've seen it on stage three times, and have all the music memorized from beginning to end.

Christine comes across so perfect and pure, yet has a desire for something dark and evil. She's deceived and drawn to the dark tormented soul of Erik. (In the book, the boy who would one day become the Phantom, Erik, was born to a mother who found him so hideous that she put a mask on him from the day he was born, and refused to love him.)In the book, his brilliance combined with self pity turned him into a mad genius, a monster. Christine loves Erik, but half of her love is based on pity. In the book, after Erik lets Christine go, she does marry Raoul, but bears his child a month premature. That son is hauntingly a musical genius (Um...not Raoul's kid).

A much deeper story than the movie shows. But the purest of women deep down fantasize about being captured by something terrible yet strangely appealing.(See the movie "Legend" with Tom Cruise in it for a perfect example. Or when Wormtongue tole Eowyn "Who knows what dark dreams your heart has spoken in the bitter watches of the night?") For if the monster wasn't seductive as well, it would be very simple to desire a rescue, and to be rescued.

Sin is ugly, it is horrible, and it holds us hostage both against and not against our wills. We COULD be free, and be carried off by the brave hero who gave his life for us. Yet part of us enjoys being enslaved by the monster so strong and exciting.

 

发表评论

<< Home