星期三, 四月 27, 2005

zach 4-6 all respond, I'm curious what you think...

The angel who talked with me came again, and wakened me, as a man who is wakened out of his sleep. He said to me, "What do you see?" I said, "I have seen, and behold, a menorah all of gold, with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps thereon; there are seven pipes to each of the lamps, which are on the top of it; and two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl, and the other on the left side of it." I answered and spoke to the angel who talked with me, saying, "What are these, my lord?" Then the angel who talked with me answered me, "Don't you know what these are?" I said, "No, my lord." Then he answered and spoke to me, saying, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbavel, saying, 'Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,' says the LORD of Armies. Who are you, great mountain? Before Zerubbavel you are a plain; and he will bring out the capstone with shouts of 'favor, favor, to it!'" Moreover the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "The hands of Zerubbavel have laid the foundation of this house. His hands shall also finish it; and you will know that the LORD of Armies has sent me to you. Indeed, who despises the day of small things? For these seven shall rejoice, and shall see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbavel. These are the eyes of the LORD, which run back and forth through the whole earth." Then I asked him, "What are these two olive trees on the right side of the menorah and on the left side of it?" I asked him the second time, "What are these two olive branches, which are beside the two golden spouts, that pour the golden oil out of themselves?" He answered me, "Don't you know what these are?" I said, "No, my lord." Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones who stand by the Lord of the whole earth."

(Zec 4:1-14)

You are the light of the world. A city located on a hill can't be hidden. Neither do you light a lamp, and put it under a measuring basket, but on a stand; and it shines to all who are in the house. Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

(Mat 5:14-16)

I turned to see the voice that spoke with me. Having turned, I saw seven golden menorot. And among the menorot was one like a son of man, clothed with a robe reaching down to his feet, and with a golden sash around his chest.

(Rev 1:12-13)

Remember therefore from where you have fallen, and repent and do the first works; or else I am coming to you swiftly, and will move your menorah out of its place, unless you repent.

(Rev 2:5)

I got a lot of this from the Keil and Delitzsch commentary on E-sword (www.e-sword.net) just so you know…..

In the temple, the menorah (lamp-stand) didn’t have the bowl and the pipes that fed the lamps (it goes without saying that there were no trees in the temple either!) The way this commentator makes it out, the menorah was fed by the fruit of the olive trees that stood on either side. God made the trees grow, produce fruit, and his fire brings the light of God to the whole world. But according to the commentator, we are the trees, receptacles of the manifest life of God to a lost and dying world. However, our light is not meant to be hidden or kept to ourselves. It is meant to be shared and given and dispersed to the whole world. This is imagery of mission.

This is also imagery of triumph. Zerubbabel will succeed because God is the one behind his growing and bearing fruit, not by his might, nor his power, but by the Spirit of God will the trees grow. The temple will be built because GOD built it through Z, not because of anything Z did. No man did this thing. It was God. When all is said and done, nobody will be able to deny the awesome power of God of the Angel Armies.

I think this really can be construed as a message for the church. The Church in America is blessed with resources beyond belief. We live in the wealthiest, most technologically advanced society in human history. God is making things easy for us.

Now, I don’t believe God likes America better than anybody else on the planet. That’s just foolish. God is no respecter of persons nor does he stoop to our petty political games. But the fact is, things are stupendously easy for us, here in the middle of suburbia. I mean, I’m writing this paper on a laptop bought with resources people in Calcutta or Africa can only dream of. Sitting next to me are people who paid in upwards of 4.00 for steamed milk, chocolate mixed with filtered bean-water.

The thing is, with that ease comes responsibility. If life is easy here, it is for a reason--- so God can grow us, we can produce fruit, and the world can be lit on fire with the light of God’s glory. We, being blessed to be a blessing to others (See God’s words to Abraham), must follow through or he may remove the lamp stand. Ask Ephesus (the church talked about in Rev 2:5): this is a scary thing. We have a responsibility to do something here.

But what? What do you guys think? How do we live life as a tree of God in the midst of a dying world? What do you think Scripture wants us to do with this? At the risk of sounding like a Blues Brother, we are on a mission from God: what is it?

3 Comments:

At 7:10 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

well for me to run run as fast as i can into the arms of mexico with her glorious arms open wide ready and waiting to recieve her lost half child, bent and keen on bringing the lost to christ through all the drama in my little heart. and head. and hands. well you get the point. i just wanna go. go somewheres. i hate sitting here doing nothing knowing that given my talents and my abilities mixed with god i can do tremendous things for the kingdom and raise up a people who will know the lord their god because i will show them all the fires ive been through and the hells ive endured and they will be stronger for it. and they will know the lord their god and love him unconditionally. i just wanna go. thats all...mrt

 
At 1:06 上午, Blogger Daniel said...

Matt, I didn't ask why how you were to do complete the mission, I asked how we were to complete it. I sense that you feel like if you can just do what you are supposed to do, you will be in God's will, life will be good and we can all hang out.

In a very real sense, I think God doesn't want to use you, he wants to use us, in life-sharing (what fellowship really means) with ourselves and Himself. Or it's better said that the us is God-you-and-the-body. Now that I think about it, it's mostly God. All we do is decide to come and do what we are told, and even then the obedience is His and propelled and motivated by Him.

Now I hate giving people advice over a blog, but I figured it needed to be said. You decide when to start your life. God is not about to postpone ministry to some future point where you have it all together and THEN he will let you go hard core evangelista. Welcome to the real world, Except when we dine at that great feast after the war (paradise), we will never have it all together. Bring the lost to Christ now, at work, in your neighborhood, everywhere you can touch them. I mean, I'm talking to myself here. I don't lead people to Christ on regular basis. However, I can help but think that when Jesus said, "the Kingdom of Heaven is among you." He meant that it has been happening for your whole life (through your past, your sickness and your sin that we all share) AND IT IS HAPPENING NOW! The Kingdom of Heaven is where we are now working and being advanced in us, today, in the glory and anointing of the ordinary.

I hope that helps. Give me a ring and we can talk later.

Daniel

 
At 12:50 下午, Anonymous 匿名 said...

def dude. good stuff. ive been thinking alot about churchisms in light of recent revelations about christ and the church and just the realness of god and how it is hand in hand that while we are made in the image of god and thus have heavenly things moving in us and throughout us all the time so he decided to make himself into the image of man so as to have a broader view of our struggles and to make himself more compatible. to be able to fully commune with us his creation. and i think alot of phrases needs to go but one in particular: oh brother/sister im waiting to go into ministry. im waiting on "gods timing". i am beginnning to hate that phrase gods timing. what the heck is that anyways. if we actually understand gods timing i think alot of the mystery and adventure of life would be spoiled. i guess i need to preach at myself sometimes cuz i once told a friend that maybe god opens up the different paths that you can take but honey he aint gonna move your feet into any specific direction. that youve gotta do for yourself (it was a girl fyi) so yeah good stuff and youre right. i need to push or propel myself into what i want to do for the kingdom. be it here at home on the frontlines or out in the world somewhere. as long as im fighting for the kingdom its all good.
matt
ps. that and really i was just ranting a little. lol. oh well.

 

发表评论

<< Home