星期三, 二月 23, 2005

Sardis: Revelation part 3

"And to the angel of the assembly in Sardis write: "He who has the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars says these things: "I know your works, that you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and keep the things that remain, which you were about to throw away, for I have found no works of yours perfected before my God. Remember therefore how you have received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If therefore you won't watch, I will come as a thief, and you won't know what hour I will come upon you. Nevertheless you have a few names in Sardis that did not defile their garments. They will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes will be arrayed in white garments, and I will in no way blot his name out of the book of life, and I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the assemblies.
(Rev 3:1-6 HNV)

Pentecostals have a tendency to be nuts. In the church I grew up in (a while back even b/f Mt. Hope-- it no longer exists now), they would always roll in the aisles, bark like dogs, jump up and act like total crazies (Sorry to all my pentecostal friends!--- You guys are exceptions to the rule!).

It's not like I didn't believe in the Holy Spirit or that he can work powerfully in someone's life. Anyone who reads the Bible is impressed by Him and everything He does. It's just the people who claimed His direct involvement in their life were not real people.

Neither am I... at least 80% of the time. I may not hide behind, "Hallelujah"s and "Amen, brother"s, but of course I obscure things because I don't want to let people in. I'm trying to get better at it and this blog is helping. However, I can't help but feel I have "a reputation for being alive but am really dead".

Three things about this letter help me tremendously:

1. Jesus tells the church in Sardis to remember what they have received. Then he tells them to keep these things of God from the past. When he says repent, He really means return to the former things--- what they had received. God doesn't leave us, he doesn't scorn us because we didn't use the greatness and potential given to us. He tells us to seize it!!

2. Sardis was not totally fake. There were still a few who walk in white. I think that applies to me to. I am not a 100% screw up. God says my heart is good. He thought I was worth sending his son for. He must have seen something. That is the real part of me and I have to live in that.

3. Purity and life. He promises to those who seize the day the right to walk in white and their names in the book of life. The two are connected somehow in a really primal way. Life and purity are a lot closer than I at first thought. Maybe God cleans us up and we find out we are truly living? Maybe purity (not just sex as is the common use of the word) but purity in everything--- speech, word, deed, life--- is what God sees as realizing our potential. We are who we are supposed to be when we are pure.

hope that helps
Daniyel

0 Comments:

发表评论

<< Home