星期四, 二月 10, 2005

God saves the day

I heard this worship song the other day (I think the title is "My Glorious"). It goes like this....

God is bigger than,
the air I breathe,
The world we'll leave,
God will save the day,
and all will say,
My Glorious,
My Glorious,

I had never heard of God 'saving the day' before. The first image in my mind was that of a superhero, saving the world, amid a trumpet fanfare.

not of God

I think the idea of 'being saved' has lost some of it's meaning these days. Religion has a nasty habit of making words 1. not mean what they were supposed to or 2. so obscure that you know they have some religious connection but have no idea what it means. So what does 'save' mean?

Salvation used to mean pushing people out of the way of a speeding vehicle or rescuing a drowning child. It used to mean being kept and perserved for a specific purpose. Now it's a prayer at the back of a booklet? I don't agree with that. God rescues and perserves us, he saves all who ask from the most horribl danger and the most horrible harm. He perserves us for his specific purpose both now and forever. That is the salvation of Adonai, the rescuing, perserving, and restoration of the world in ways we can only dream.

I think the suggested text for small group next week is Rev 1-3. Bring something, art, music, a song you heard on the radio, I don't care. I'm excited to see where it goes....

Daniyel

0 Comments:

发表评论

<< Home